A bladder infection or cystitis is an infection of the bladder that can cause pain and discomfort. It’s usually caused by bacteria entering the bladder from the urethra. Bladder infections are common and can be treated with antibiotics. However, there are some steps you can take to speed up the process and get rid of the infection faster.
Understanding Bladder Infections
A bladder infection is caused by bacteria entering the bladder. It can cause pain and discomfort, as well as frequent urination, a burning sensation when urinating, and cloudy or foul-smelling urine. If left untreated, a bladder infection can lead to more serious complications, such as a kidney infection.
Fastest Ways to Get Rid of a Bladder Infection
- See a Doctor: Seeing a doctor is the best way to get a diagnosis and treatment for a bladder infection. Your doctor can prescribe antibiotics to fight the infection.
- Drink Plenty of Fluids: Drinking plenty of fluids can help flush out the bacteria that is causing the infection. Drinking cranberry juice can also help fight off the infection.
- Take Over-the-Counter Medications: Taking over-the-counter medications, such as ibuprofen and acetaminophen, can help relieve pain and discomfort.
- Urinate Frequently: Urinating frequently can help flush out the bacteria that is causing the infection.
- Keep the Area Clean: Keeping the genital area clean can help prevent bacteria from entering the bladder.
- Wear Loose-Fitting Clothing: Wearing loose-fitting clothing can help keep the area clean and reduce irritation.
- Avoid Unnecessary Antibiotics: Taking antibiotics unnecessarily can cause antibiotic resistance.
If you think you have a bladder infection, it’s important to seek medical advice. Taking the steps outlined above can help speed up the process of getting rid of the infection.